Thursday 1 December 2011

Chapter Nine

Home Sweet Home

Bella Pov


I couldn't believe Edward was being so nice to me. It seemed so unreal, I was lying on his bed while he went to make me a sandwich, it couldn't be real. Was I dreaming? I pinched myself.
Ouch!
OK I wasn't dreaming. So how did I end up in Edward's bed? Edward Cullen's bed.
We didn't..? I didn't..? With HIM!
I sat up against the pillows as everything came back to me. James. I felt disgusting. I wrapped the cover that was over me tighter, wrapping my arms around my torso, as if that would keep me together. I wanted to sob. I had sobbed. Oh god I had sobbed in Edward's arms. I felt sick. I looked at the time, it was nearing 6 o'clock. I would have to go home soon, I would have to face James. I hated life with Charlie, but James was worse. I didn't think it could've got any worse. I was wrong. I wanted to curl up in a ball and just disappear.
Mum. If you're out there, tell me what to do. I'm so lost. I want to be with you. How? How can I be with you? Give me a sign.
I needed a plan. I could jump off a cliff. What if it didn't work? I could use a knife. Yeah, because you just love blood.
My ideas were cut short when Edward returned. He handed me a plate with a cheese sandwich. I could feel my eyes well up with tears at the gesture. No one had made me a sandwich, not since my mum passed away. I blinked back the tears not wanting to show anymore weakness, not to Edward. He handed me a can of coke and it made me smile. It was nice to feel like a normal seventeen year old girl for a change. The film he had chosen was obviously not for him and I was grateful for how nice he was being. I had no doubts that tomorrow he would go back to being a jackass, but for now I was grateful. As I lay there I had no worries, it was like a bubble had formed around me and I was untouchable.
"Isabella, can you come downstairs please?"
The bubble burst. Reality had once again taken over. I felt numb.

Carlisle Pov

I had listened carefully to everything that Edward had said. It seemed so unlike him to be so caring and thoughtful. Edward was the type to fly off the handle, so to speak. To rush through things without giving it a second thought. In some ways I admired my son, to be that daring and courageous was a gift. In other ways he could be stupid and damn right unthoughtful.
I talked things over with Esme. Things with Isabella were really beginning to worry me. They had worried me for years, but things were getting worse now. I had seen this sort of thing before. Things just didn't go away. I had told Esme over the years the worries I had about Isabella, but I had never had enough proof, I never had enough reason to put a stop to it, not with her claims that she was clumsy, and the millions of different excuses she had fed me. Things were different now. I was well aware that Charlie was her legal guardian. I was also well aware that Charlie was out of town for the week and wasn't planning to arrive home for a few days yet.
After talking to Alice, I invited Isabella down to what I liked to call the 'family room'. I was pleased to see Edward had followed, whether it was to do with him being nosey, or actually taking an interest in something other than his own 'world', I didn't care.
"Isabella. If you'll consider it, I would like you to stay here, at least until your father returns from his trip. I've spoken to Alice and she is more than happy to share her bedroom with you, and loan you some clothes to wear to save you the trouble from picking them up. If you'll accept I would like you to treat this place like your own home."

No comments:

Post a Comment