Thursday 1 December 2011

Chapter Fifteen

The Favor

Alice Pov

It was when I was walking back from class it happened. It was the last class of the day and most people were out celebrating what little sun was in the sky. I was meeting Kaycee at her room. She stayed in student housing as she had no family. I bounced along the corridor passing people that were heading out. I knocked on the door and entered as I always did. She wasn't there.
"Kaycee!" I called out thinking she may be in the bathroom.
There was no answer. I knocked on the bathroom door, I was starting to panic now. She knew she was meeting me.
Where is she?
I pushed the bathroom door open and there she lay on the floor. I tried shaking her, but she didn't wake. I grabbed my mobile from my bag entering dad's number.
Please answer, daddy please, I need you.
He never answered. I thought for a moment before dialling Edwards number. I never called Edward. We used to be close, but we weren't anymore. Edward was an asshole, but I knew he'd be there if I needed him. I was his little sister.
I practically screamed down the phone rambling on about everything to him. I knew no one was around as I had passed everyone leaving but I ran out to the corridor anyway. I must have screamed help a dozen times. No one came. I could feel the tears rolling down my cheeks, I was scared. I was terrified. I paced the bathroom floor stopping to give Kaycee a shake every so often.
Please wake up, please Kay, you're my best friend. I need you to wake up, please please please. Where's Edward? What's he doing? Will he get help? Does he think I'm kidding? He better not think this is some kind of joke. Kay you need to wake up, please. Will Edward get dad? Why is dad's phone switched off? Is he in trouble? Has something else happened? No, he'll have his phone switched off because he's at the hospital.
A Million thoughts ran through my mind. I felt like I'd been standing there for hours. I wanted to run through the corridors, run anywhere around the school grounds to find someone. To find anyone, but I couldn't leave Kaycee here alone.
I was so close to falling to my knees sobbing when in came dad. He looked at Kaycee lying on the floor before telling me to go out to the car. I wasn't sure what he was doing and if I'm completely honest I didn't want to know. I ran out to the car about to jump in when I realized dad hadn't given me the keys. I tried the door anyway to find it was locked. This only added to my anxiety.
What if dad dropped the keys? What if he left them in the car and the door locked on it's own? The door locked on it's own? Don't be stupid! What if we can't get to the hospital in time? We will, we'll get there, she'll be ok! She has to be ok.
Forever and a day later dad came out to the car carrying Kaycee in his arms. I reached into his pocket and got the keys to the car as instructed. He laid Kaycee down in the back seat telling me to get in my car and go home. It wasn't till he mentioned it I realized I even had my car with me.
"Dad! I'm not going home, she's my best friend. She doesn't have anyone else. I'm coming to the hospital with you."
He looked as if he was going to argue, but I think he could sense he wasn't going to win. I got into my little yellow beetle and started following dad to the hospital. There were only two thoughts in my mind as I drove.
Will she be ok? Oh dear I owe Edward!
I didn't dwell on the second thought. The first was far more important. I parked the car beside dad's but he was no where to be seen. I was only a few minutes behind him so he couldn't have gone very far. I raced into the hospital I could feel my heart beat getting faster and I was beginning to worry about fainting myself.
I was told to wait outside the room in which my best friend lay. I paced up and down while all sorts of tests were being done. There were people going in the room and people coming out. I paced and I paced and then I paced some more.
It was around 7pm when dad finally emerged from the room. He told me that she had fainted because of lack of energy, that she had anemia and needed iron in her body. I started to panic and became irrational.
Iron? can you buy iron? How much does iron cost? Where do you even get iron? Would she have to eat metal? Can you eat metal?
Dad stopped me telling me to calm down. He told me about iron tablets and vitamins and it began to make sense in my crazy mind. I was just so worried. Kay was the brave one, the one that helped me out, the one that talked me through my problems. Kay was strong. I let my face brighten into a smile.
"So she'll be ok?" I asked him
"Yes Alice, she will be perfectly fine. I do have one thing to ask of you though, I would like Kaycee to come stay with us for a few days. I don't like the idea of her being alone when she is unwell."
"Oh dad really? You're my hero, Carlisle Cullen to the rescue, saving the day once again!" I all but squealed wrapping my arms around him.
I rushed to my friends side embracing her in a gentle hug as she emerged from the room. She looked pale and unhealthy. She looked weak, it was a big contrast to the strong Kay that I knew. I helped her to my car and explained that she would be staying with us for a few days. She looked genuinly pleased at this, the same way that I was. I just hadn't took into account that Bella was there also.


Edward Pov

I was about to give up at 8pm. I had been pacing for ages, and Edward Cullen didn't wait for anything or anyone. It was then I heard cars approaching and I saw the headlights shine through the barely lit 'family room' as dad likes to call it. Family room was a fucking joke, it was a living room, to have a family room, you have to have a real fucking family. Our family was more dysfunctional than half of the twisted shitty lives of those you see on fucked up shows like Jeremy Kyle.
Dad explained what was wrong and shit while Alice and her friend retreated upstairs.
"Where's she going to sleep?" I asked.
"Well, I um, I wanted to talk to you about that." He sounded nervous, Carlisle Cullen never sounded nervous. It wasn't in his nature to be nervous, he was a doctor for fuck sake, he was calm for a living.
"I was wondering if you would mind having Bella sleep on your couch." He said as more of a statement that an actual fucking question.
I would have to share a room with little miss goody goody. I tried to think of a plausible argument but even I knew I didn't have one.
I couldn't wait to see her face when she found that out though. Little miss innocent would be sharing a room with me.
She was already sitting on the couch when I entered my room. It caught me off guard, she was shy, she didn't seem the type of person to enter a room without the persons permission first.
Holy fuck!
She had on a tiny pair of shorts and a baggy t-shirt. She looked so fucking sweet there was no denying it. It wasn't that which made me stare though. Every inch of her was covered in bruises, subtle little bruises. I knew I was staring but I couldn't fucking help the shit, I felt bad, I felt really bad. Her cheeks were turning brighter and brighter red as I continued to stare.
"Someone really fucked you up." I practically whispered to myself, but as her blush deepened I knew she'd heard.
I saw the tears form in her eyes and she was looking at the spot on my bed on which she had lay that morning I had brought her here. I knew what she was thinking and I knew what she needed and for the first time in my life, I thought about her. I thought about Bella. I sat beside her wrapping my arms around her letting her sob into my chest and when she fell asleep I picked her up effortlessly and tucked her into my bed.
I lay that night on my couch staring at the ceiling thinking about the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment