Thursday 1 December 2011

Chapter Four

Supermarket Fun

I climbed into Edwards Volvo, feeling very self conscious. I knew we were only going to the supermarket for ingredients, but that was the problem, we were going to the supermarket for ingredients. The drive was only five minutes, well with the crazy way that Edward drove, it was only five minutes, but the awkward silence made it seem so much longer. I knew he was as unhappy with this situation as I was. I knew he'd much rather have worked with one of his many sluts. I would have much rather worked on my own. I grabbed a basket and filled it with flour, bananas, sugar, eggs, butter and anything else we needed. Edward just walked around keeping his distance, it was obvious he was spoiled and had never visited the supermarket for messages before. It was clear he was avoiding being seen with me, but I didn't have any money. I didn't know how to ask him, and I didn't want to face the embarrassment of going to the register with no money. I could feel my eyes welling up with tears as I just stood there. I didn't know what to do.
Don't cry. Do. Not. Cry.
It felt like I had been standing there for hours. "Fucking hell, what are you crying for?" I heard Edward say impatiently. I quickly wiped my eyes, blinking back fresh tears that had began to appear. "I-I-I don't ha-a-ave any money." I stuttered out.
"For fuck sake." He said taking the basket from me. I put my head down feeling ashamed and walked out to stand by his car. "Well, well, well, what do we have hear?" I heard a girls voice. I turned to see Tanya Denali standing with Lauren Mallory. They were two of Edwards many followers. They were actually quite pathetic, worshipping the ground that he walked on. "Edward hates you, you know, you'd never be good enough for him, so whatever you're trying ain't going to work, got that tramp!" Tanya spat in my face. I took a step back instinctively and accidentally set the car alarm off. I could hear Edward screaming curse words on the way out the supermarket and closed my eyes while he made the beeping stop. "Watch what your doing beside my fucking car!" he shouted. He shot Tanya and Lauren a seductive look, licking his lips, before putting the messages in the boot and climbing in the car. I quickly opened the door and jumped in beside him as he sped off back to his house.
My cheeks were still red when we got to his house, but thankfully the tears had disappeared. I think that was the first time Edward Cullen had seen me cry, I was always composed. I prided myself on being composed, I mean you could probably read my thoughts through my eyes, but I never normally broke down anywhere but the comfort of my bedroom, when I was alone. It was there I could truelly let my feelings out, I didn't have to wear a mask, I could just let it all out.
"Right Bit-ella, shall we get started." It was the first time Edward had ever called me Bella. I turned to see his mum standing in the doorway and realised that that was the reason. I took my hoody off as I normally did before I cooked. The gasp was all I needed to realise what I had done. It was all right to take my jumper off at home, Charlie caused the bruises that marked my pale skin, but other people didn't know. "I-I-I-I'm very, um clumsy." I stuttered out. This day was becoming much harder than I even imagined it too be. Esme just smiled at me, I was relieved she believed it. I usually wasn't very good at lying. Edward was eyeing me curiously, it made me uncomfortable. I started taking the ingredients out and preparing the worktops.
"Pizza!" I heard a mans voice call out as the door slammed. "Come get it while it's hot!"
Doctor Cullen walked in with four big pizza boxes sitting them on the table. "Isabella," he said in greeting, eyeing my arms as he said it. "You need to be much more careful, you're going to end up breaking your arm again." I blushed heavily pulling my hoody back on again. I was told to take a seat at the table as a petite pixie looking girl with short black spiky hair danced in with a large muscular boy followed behind her with a huge grin on his face. They smiled at me before digging in to the pizza, I was told they were Alice and Emmett, Edwards siblings. I wasn't even aware Edward had siblings, I certainly hadn't seen them before. I took a slice of pizza nibbling at it, I didn't tend to eat a lot avoiding as much time with Charlie as I could, and every time I swallowed it hurt. I knew I was unhealthily skinny, but I just didn't have much of an appetite.
We ended up abandoning cooking for that night, and when I got home Charlie had been asleep on the couch. I could smell the stench of beer when I walked through the front door, I tip-toed as quitely as I could up the stairs and locked myself in my room. I lay in bed and for the first time in as long as I could remember, I didn't cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment